Travel Procedures

Travel reimbursement is for the traveler’s expenses ONLY Traveler should never pay for another traveler’s expenses and seek reimbursement. 

NOTE: Student organizations should refer to the Student Life Travel page.
For faculty or staff organizing student-sponsored travel, please see the Student Travel Policy.


A Request for Travel Authorization (RTA) is required for all business travel whether or not there is a cost to the university. This RTA must be submitted at least two weeks prior to departure via the online Travel Authorization Request (TAR) form. Please assign the online form to the department travel administrator or your research group administrator. If classes are to be missed, please refer to the Faculty Travel Policy.

Faculty Travel Grant

A submitted Faculty Travel Grant (FTG) must be on file prior to submission of the online re quest form if FTG funds will be used. It is recommended that the FTG application is submitted as soon as travel plans are arranged, but please allow a minimum of two weeks prior to travel for processing and approval. Inform the travel administrator of the Faculty Travel Grant when submitting the Travel Authorization Request.

Travel Reservations

For faculty making travel reservations, please submit a travel request with Anthony Travel.

For student travel not affiliated with a student organization, please use Concur for travel arrangements.

Please address any questions or changes to your travel plans with the travel administrator prior to making your arrangements.

Travel Cancellation

If you have to cancel any travel reservations, including vehicle rental, notify your travel administrator immediately, so penalties are not incurred.

Reimbursement for Travel Expenses

Reimbursement should be submitted within two business days of return via the online Travel Reimbursement Request form. Documents you will need:

1) Approved Travel Authorization Request number

2) Final paid receipts, including: airfare, taxis/Uber, hotel, conference registration, parking, etc.

NOTE: When seeking reimbursement for a hotel, a "zero hotel bill" is required, indicating that the account has been paid.

The department processes up to $51.00 per diem for all meals; no meal receipts are required for reimbursement.

An employee will only be reimbursed for his or her own expenditures, not for expenditures incurred by other individuals.


  • Ensure that you set up non-payroll payments under My Bank Information.
  • Reimbursement for Texas hotel state sales tax is not allowed. If traveling within Texas, present the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate upon check-in to have the state tax removed. City sales tax can be reimbursed.
  • Tips can be calculated only up to 20% of pretax subtotal.
  • Reimbursements must be processed within 30 days of the last day of travel. Timing of reimbursements is regulated by the IRS.
  • For car mileage reimbursement, an online mapping tool is required roundtrip to and from your destination. When using state funds, MAPQUEST is required.
  • Please contact the travel administrator if you have questions in regards to your reimbursement.
  • For student trips requiring insurance, there is a 45-day lead time.

For more detailed information on travel reimbursement you may go to the Handbook of Business Procedures.