utwordmark

Department History

Early 1970s

  • The Rocket Exhaust Effects Facility was built by John J. Bertin to study flow problems.

  • John J. Westkaemper designed and built a large subsonic wind tunnel for the Experimental Aerodynamics Laboratory with the help of student assistants.

 1973

  • The Texas Institute for Computational Mechanics (TICOM) was established by Drs. J. Tinsley Oden, Eric Becker, and Bob Dunham.

1974

  • The first visiting committee was formed.

1975

  • NASA astronaut Michael A. Baker graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering. After the Challenger accident, Baker was assigned to the team that pursued redesign, modification and improvements to the Shuttle Landing and Deceleration Systems. Read more

  • Dr. Roger Broucke joined the department faculty.

1976

1977

  • Dr. Victor Szebehely assumed the chairmanship of the department.

  • The Engineering Laboratories Building was renamed W.R. Woolrich Laboratories in honor of W.R. Woolrich, Engineering dean from 1936 to 1958.

  • Dr. Graham Carey joined the department faculty.

1978

  • Dr. Linda Hayes joined the department faculty.

1979

  • Dr. J. Tinsley Oden joined the department faculty.