Flight Control Systems (Spring 2016), ASE 370L
- Time: Mon & Wed 11am-12:30pm
- Room: WRW 102
- Instructor: Ufuk Topcu, email
- Teaching assistants: Deep Mukherji email and Deep Mukherji email
- Office hours: Mon 5pm-6pm (Deep Mukherji in WRW 312) and Fri 11am-12pm (Ufuk Topcu in WRW 408B.
- Textbook: Feedback Systems: An Introduction for Scientists and Engineers, Astrom and Murray, complete book in pdf, including errata sheets, individual chapters, version optimized for e-readers
- Syllabi for the course during previous offerings are available at this link.
- Midterm 2 will be out on April 13th.
- HW 6 is posted on April 3rd.
- HW 5 is posted on March 15th.
- Midterm 1 will go out sometime on Wednesday, March 2nd. It will be due 11:59pm on Friday, March 4th.
- HW 4 posted, due on Feb 23rd.
- HW 3 posted, due on Feb 14th.
- Office hour times changed (see the information above).
- HW 2 posted, due on Feb 10th.
- HW 1 posted, due on Feb 4th.
- Class cancelled on Jan 27 (Wed)
|1||Jan 20||Logistics and intro to feedback control||slides|
|2||Jan 25||Intro to feedback control and modeling||slides||HW1|
|3||Jan 27||No class||cancelled|
|6||Feb 8||Dynamic behavior and stability||slides|
|7||Feb 10||Stability and linear systems||slides|
|8||Feb 15||Linear systems (1)||slides||HW3|
|9||Feb 17||Linear systems (2)||slides (d)|
|10||Feb 22||Linear systems (3)||slides (d)|
|11||Feb 24||Linear systems (4)||slides||HW4|
|12||Feb 29||State feedback (1)||slides|
|13||Mar 2||State feedback (2)||slides (d)||Midterm 1|
|14||Mar 7||State feedback (3)||slides (d)|
|15||Mar 9||State feedback (4)||slides (d)||HW5|
|16||Mar 21||PID control + controllability||slides (d)|
|17||Mar 23||Transfer functions||slides|
|18||Mar 28||Transfer functions||slides (d)|
|19||Mar 30||Bode diagrams (1)||slides|
|20||Apr 4||Bode diagrams (2)||slides (d)||HW6|
|21||Apr 6||Bode diagrams (3)||slides (d)|
|22||Apr 11||Nyquist criterion||slides|
|23||Apr 13||Nyquist criterion (2)||slides (d)|
|24||Apr 18||Stability margins||slides (d)|
|25||Apr 20||Frequency domain design (1)||slides|
|26||Apr 25||Frequency domain design (2)||slides (d)||HW7|
|27||Apr 27||Frequency domain design (3)||slides (d)|
|28||May 2||Frequency domain design (4)||slides (d)|
(d) stands for slides continued from the previous lecture and posted as a duplicate copy.
- Each assignment is due in class on Wednesday that is no sooner than a week and no later than two weeks from the day on which the assignment is posted.
The grade will be based on homework assignments, two midterm exams, a final exam and participation. The midterm examples with be take-home. The final exam will be during the official scheduled slot and in class. The participation portion includes in-class discussions and any other effort the student shows to sincerely grasp the course material.
- Homework assignments -- 30%
- Midterm exam 1 -- 15%
- Midterm exam 2 -- 20%
- Final exam -- 25%
- Participation -- 10%